About Me

I have been a kindergarten teacher for 16 years. I now have children of my own and see on a daily basis how they use technology. I decided it was time to return to school myself. I am a currently a graduate student at Full Sail University working towards a Master's Degree in Education Media Design and Technology.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

BP4_Zimmer Twins


Teaching kindergarten can somewhat tie my hands when it comes to the students’ ability to use a computer applications independently. Most of my students are not proficient readers. They need to have things read to them so that they can understand. They would not be able to successfully use any tools that required them to read and follow directions. In searching the web, I specifically tried to find something that they would be comfortable using. I want to expose them to the web in a way that would allow them to explore without feeling overwhelmed.

I came across a Web 2.0 tool called Zimmer Twins. And, of course, it’s FREE!

This site follows twins Edgar and Eva Zimmer and their black cat, named 13. These 12-year-old twins have psychic powers (though my kids never noticed) and through this website, you are able to use video clips to complete a unique video starring these characters.

I felt this site has an “iMovie for kids” feel. It allows students to sign on (we created a class account that everyone can use together) and choose from the pre-set actions.

 
You can then create your movie based on each picture you choose. You can add text to the speech bubbles and each scene allows you to change both the characters and the locations you can use with a simple drop down.




Once you have created your scenes, you can pull the slider bar back to view the entire movie. You can make changes or just continue working.


Just can continue until you have a great flick!


In class, we watched a short tutorial and then I just turned it over to my class. Keep in mind, they are 5 and 6 years old! They had a great time exploring and made some really silly videos. I even shared this site with the computer lab teacher. We thought it would have great possibilities for older kids. They could really explore the use of speech bubbles and create dialogue between the characters.

There is, of course, a VIP Membership. You can share your movies online, write reviews and grade other movies.




I think we will just stick to the free version.
Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment