About Me

I have been a kindergarten teacher for 16 years. I now have children of my own and see on a daily basis how they use technology. I decided it was time to return to school myself. I am a currently a graduate student at Full Sail University working towards a Master's Degree in Education Media Design and Technology.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

PE_FinalProject_ZimmerTwins






Relevant and Innovative Learning Scenarios Planning

Target Audience –
            My target audience will be 10 of my kindergarten students. There is block of time in my day where several of my students leave the room for a remedial program. This time is also at the end of the day when the downstairs computer lab is available. I will have access to that computer lab with my target audience at that time.

Materials –
            My materials will be my 10 kindergarten students and the computer lab, as well as some paper and a pencil for the rough draft.

Objectives –
            The target audience will use the web 2.0 tool, Zimmer Twins, to complete the writing that they have begun in the classroom. They will apply their knowledge of a written story (with a basic beginning, middle and end). They will then produce a movie that demonstrates their understanding. This project will be completed together with a partner.

Procedure –
            The kindergarten students will work together in teacher-selected pairs to create a basic movie. They will begin in the classroom. They will practice writing a story by using the words first, next, and last as a starting point. Once they write a basic story we will be able to go online. In the computer lab, they will log onto Zimmertwins.com to create their movie. They will work with their partner and choose from one of the drop down settings provided on the site. Once a setting is decided upon, they will write a basic script about what these characters will do and why. Some of this will be done on paper as an outline of their project. They will then choose the best pictures to represent their ideas. They will piece together their movie and add the dialogue into the speech bubbles. Their movies will be saved online in a class account to view together at a later date. We will all view the movies together and offer comments and suggestions.


Web 2.0 Tool –
            I will be using the ZimmerTwins.com web 2.0 tool with this group of students. This website is a basic movie making tool for kids. It allows anyone to manipulate the pre-set scenes to create a unique, individual movie. The creator can change the characters locations actions very easily. It’s almost like “iMovie for kids.”

Social Participation/Social Learning –
            I plan on keeping the groups small so that they are able to comfortably handle differencing opinions with just one other student. They will be able to work together to form a plan and then take turns using the site to create their movie. When they use the computer in our classroom, they always work together in pairs. Therefore, working together with someone on the computer will not be a new idea. In kindergarten, we are always social!

Making Connections –
            In our classroom we have daily journals. I am trying to get them to move beyond writing one or even two isolated sentences. I am trying to get them to expand on these isolated sentences and create more of a story in their writing. I am trying to get them to answer who, what, where, when and why questions. I want them to tell me more! I want them to take what they are writing and expand! I am hoping that this project will allow them to piece together a basic beginning, middle and ending. I also hope that this will carry over into their daily writing.

Create/Produce –
            Each pair of students will create their own unique movie using the Web 2.0 tool, Zimmer Twin. I will be looking for a simple movie that includes a beginning, middle and ending sentence.

Assessment –
            We just had a meeting at school about this topic. As we discussed there, unfortunately most of the assessment that goes on in kindergarten is visual. It’s through teacher observations. I will be watching to see how they feel about writing. I will be looking for evidence of this to carry over into their daily writing. I want to see them begin to expand their writing. I am hoping that by providing them with a framework, they will be able to continue on their own. I would like to see that they are able to follow a writing format that includes a beginning, middle and ending. I am looking for a simple movie with just these three parts.

Reflection –
 I think that the most obvious form of reflection in this project is going to be viewing the final project. We will all watch each other’s movies. I think they will enjoy watching each movie and seeing the final projects. I would like them to offer comments and suggestions for each movie – something good and something that could be improved on for next time. I can’t wait to see how this will affect their writing.
            I was very impressed with how well my students used the Web 2.0 tool, Zimmer Twins. They were able to use the site with very little initial instruction and then create a basic movie. They were all very proud of their movies and wanted to do more. I will be continuing this activity with them so that they can add more dialogue to their movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment