About Me

I have been a kindergarten teacher for 16 years. I now have children of my own and see on a daily basis how they use technology. I decided it was time to return to school myself. I am a currently a graduate student at Full Sail University working towards a Master's Degree in Education Media Design and Technology.

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Wk 1 - Copyright

photo taken by Alicia Welch
In watching the videos on Copyright and Fair Use, I believe that I am even more confused than before. It's like being afraid of something that you can't see. You know it's there, somewhere. And, most of all, you have to walk very carefully.

I have to admit that concerns about copyright have been one of my biggest challenges throughout EMDT. When we all began the program, about 10 months ago, it was stressed to us that plagiarism unacceptable - something I am sure we all already knew. However, as we continued, we began to utilize material in our projects and performances. This materials was often found on the web. This is the material that I have shied away from. Even though a source is referenced, I was concerned about how the copyright laws could effect me. Several times I did not use something, like a piece of music or photo, because I was concerned about where it would fit into the context of the copyright laws.

In watching these videos, I can see how copyright could protect me as well as the original creator of the work. There are also many grey areas. Areas that copyright could be pushed too far. It was stated that ' a small bit' could be used in specific circumstances? That leads to the question, how small is a small piece. What if I use too much? What then? As you can probably tell, I am somewhat of a black/white person. I have to admit that I am uncomfortable with these broad definitions.

4 comments:

  1. Alicia, there are big time gray areas. I think the very fact that each major court case has to be contested and the decisions interpreted shows that instances can be found that support both sides in most cases. You mentioned that your concern was mainly in the use of material you are creating, This is an important concern and I struggle with it also, but I am even more concerned with how to teach copyright observation to my graphic design students. There is always the "thou shalt not steal" answer, but many designs offer homage or significant change to lexicons of modern culture. Just as brand names like "Kleenex" or "Catsup" were once privately owned names and have now become household with words with expired rights, the images, phrases, songs and movies that are part of our culture should be available to be referenced in new art. Where is that line drawn in a practical way? How does national law (not to mention non-existent international law) keep pace with a globally collaborative digital society?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alica, I started off scared as well. I do feel like the videos cleared up a lot of things for me. Fair use and how much is too much can't be spelled out.If the law would spell the amount out in specific terms that would be even harder to police. I like that Fair use is at least considered. I hope that the law is aiming for true pirates. Although a few well meaning people have already been busted and were claiming fair use. i hope in the arena of education we would be allowed a little latitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia
    You are not alone in your confusion about those grey areas when it comes to copyright laws. I think the public kind of feels the same, so a lot of people just take their chances and hope that no one acts if they do something with out the proper permission. It would be a massive undertaking to try and punish those lawbreakers. So I think before it reaches that point the government should first make the effort to educate and clarify copyright laws to the public. It is not likely that the average citizen will research to find out if they are doing something illegal before downloading a song, or taking a piece of artwork and printing it on a t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess the one answer that I have is that if you have permission to use a piece of media than you are free of concerns. :-)

    ReplyDelete