About Me

I have been a kindergarten teacher for 16 years. I now have children of my own and see on a daily basis how they use technology. I decided it was time to return to school myself. I am a currently a graduate student at Full Sail University working towards a Master's Degree in Education Media Design and Technology.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Wk 4 - response to Dena

Dena-
I, too, have read the book Chrysanthemum, by Kevin Henkes. I read it to my class each year and we discuss how each of us are different. In reading this section, I did not initially see the resemblance to the book by Henkes, but it is clearly there.
I have a dear friend who is undergoing chemotherapy and has recently lost all of her hair. I began to focus on this aspect of the book, but that is my story and not the focus of the book.
Thank you for helping me to see this passage how it was truly written.
~Alicia

Henry's photo taken by Alicia Welch
Dena's original post...
A Spark

Passion rather than fear is the igniting force.  Abundance rather than scarcity is the context.  Enrollment is about giving yourself as a posibility to others and being ready in turn, to catch their spark.  These are all powerful statements.  I think the message was : Believe in yourself and go for the park.  Afford yourself the opportunity of possibilities if you have the passion.   Don't fear what might happen.


The word"no" can be daunting but if we look at it differently it may provide another opportunity.  It was mentioned that education is important and we shouldn't just focus on the academic person.  I agree fully with this statement because not everyone is academic but I do believe that everyone has the gift of opportunity.  I also believe that everyone has something to offer if given the opportunity.


Being the Board

It does't make sense to pass the blame because it isn't going to fix things.  It is a difficult task and I think it comes with maturity.  Somethings you may have made a fuss over ten years ago wouldn't be worth your time and energy today because as individuals you would have grown. Fussing, complaining and arguing are not going to solve the problem.

Creating Frameworks
This section reminds me of the book Chrysenthemum  by Kevin Henkes.  Chrysenthemum was teased because she was named after a flower.  Her music teacher was named after a flower as well and when the teacher told the students that she was named after a flower as well their attitude changed.
We need to use the framework of possibilities  to  opportunities and offering a new way of doing or seeing things.

Telling the We Story

This basically tells the story of  "we" not "me".  How can we fix the problem.  What is  best for us.  Not I want or it is all about me.  That does not provide opportunities.  This section suggest that we offer suggestions and work things out.  Often in a disagreement it is about me or I and the tension is still there.  If the situation is approached differently with the "we" approach the outcome would be more positive.

I have really enjoyed these readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment