About Me

I have been a kindergarten teacher for 16 years. I now have children of my own and see on a daily basis how they use technology. I decided it was time to return to school myself. I am a currently a graduate student at Full Sail University working towards a Master's Degree in Education Media Design and Technology.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Wk 4 - response to Les

Les-
I also enjoyed the final chapter and how it turned the focus from 'I' to 'we'. I think I have even been to a workshop where it placed the focus on that. Allowing us to ask the question - How can "we" work together to fix this?
It is always so good to read your reviews because of your obvious excitement for this book. I am glad that you are ready to bring this book to your school. Your enthusiasm will definitely play a large part in the professional development that you have planned for your teachers.
~Alicia
photo taken by Alicia Welch


Les' original post...
Chapter 9 Lighting A Spark
I laughed so hard at the example of sitting behind someone at the tollbooth because they do not have the exact change. Thank God for Sunpass an automated pay system. I know this wasn’t the point; I haven’t reached perfection yet, oh well. Lighting a spark (enrollment) is what I believe teaching is all about trying to be a catalyst to student’s passions. It takes time to develop this skill but is worth it. This book keeps bringing me back to my passion and central calling in education.

Chapter 10 Being the Board
When blaming we give away our power to change the situation the authors say because” there is nothing I can do about your mistakes” (p.151). WOW, It’s official this book is challenging me. It is there fault. I know it is. Yet the author suggest I am the framework for everything that happens in my life. Doesn’t mean you’re at fault but you acknowledge your participation. Stop messing with my pity party we just bought chips and soda. 2 great reflections Questions are offered: How did I get on the board that I am and how have I become a context for that to occur? This reflection brings great clarity to choice made rather commission or omission. Not that we blame our selves but we see how we have given the power to change it away. Gaining control versus making a difference and the boss example was like they were at my school. I get a will approach our principal differently. Bing the board will take a lot of practice!!!!

Chapter 11 Creating Frameworks for Possibilities
I am going to purchase this book for our principal and see if I can do a series of mini sessions for our community of practice group.
I enjoyed the practice questions. I think they would make a power full reflections and action session. They are found on page 163:
1. Make a NEW distinction in the realm of possibility on that is a POWERFUL substitute.
2. Enter the territory and embody the distinction
3. Keep distinguishing what is on track and what is off tack.

The clarification on vision is great and challenging. I can’t pin point why. I will have to read this several times. I think I might still be I the world of measurements and judging the success of vision this way.

Chapter 12 Telling the We Story
Last, but very significant the we story, this chapter really invites everyone into the world of possibility. It starts with allowing everyone to see them selves as vital to the story and the possibilities. I know my post this time is a little long but I am enjoying this book. In November this will be my book of the month so I can begin to plan some PD Days around this books theme. Thanks Joe B!!!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment