About Me

I have been a kindergarten teacher for 16 years. I now have children of my own and see on a daily basis how they use technology. I decided it was time to return to school myself. I am a currently a graduate student at Full Sail University working towards a Master's Degree in Education Media Design and Technology.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Wk 2 - Wimba review

photo taken by Alicia Welch
In watching the archive of this week's Wimba, I definitely feel that I have a better understanding of Copyright and Fair Use. I appreciated the further explanations given as well as the additional discussions that helped to clarify some issues.
My biggest surprise during Wimba, was the issue of the artist, Prince. I had no idea that was the reason he had changed his name. I also never realized that could or would become an issue for an artist. I'm sure he had his reasons, however, it does seem rather unethical to simply change your name to get out of a signed contract. What obligations can I get out of if I were to change my name?
The copyright discussion also allowed me to rethink some of my classroom lessons. I am beginning a Florida book with my students next week. Something simple so that my kindergarteners can understand various parts of our state. Each letter will be represented with an illustration. In the past I have used "D is for Disney." The students would then trace a, pretty bad looking, version of Mickey Mouse for their book. So...is this allowed?

1 comment:

  1. If the lesson is about Disney than it would be impossible to teach about disney without including an image of the mouse... so, as long as the lesson is about Disney you can get away with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete