About Me

I have been a kindergarten teacher for 16 years. I now have children of my own and see on a daily basis how they use technology. I decided it was time to return to school myself. I am a currently a graduate student at Full Sail University working towards a Master's Degree in Education Media Design and Technology.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Wk 2 - The Art of Possibility (Chapters 1-4)

In reading The Art of Possibility, I was drawn to the idea that grades were simply being taken off the table. The teachers agreed to simply given all of the students an A. Yet in receiving this A, these students were required to explain why they would be deserving this grade.
photo taken by Alicia Welch

I can see how this would create a learner that would strive harder to succeed. The students have created the goals themselves. The students have determined what they need to do. The students then need to work to reach their own goals. In some cases, I believe that these students will work harder throughout the semester than those not setting their own goals.

I almost feel as though our classes in EMDT have been somewhat like this. In a way, we have been given an A. It is very clear for us at the beginning of each month what is expected of us. If we desire to keep our A, we must complete the assignments that we have been given. It is very clear which assignment is worth what, and what work needs to be completed to maintain that grade. The biggest difference is going to be that we have not created these goals ourselves. And I understand that for some, that may be the biggest factor.

4 comments:

  1. Alicia,
    I like the way that you compared the A project to our EMDT classes. I did think of it that way, but in some ways it is. I think that we have worked hard to maintain what we have been given, but what we put in shows what we've earned. I think it would have been much different if we would have set up our own goals. Setting up our own goals would have given us greater understanding of what and why were doing something. Rather than seeing the big picture pay off in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alicia,

    I do agree with the idea of giving an A in the beginning and taking grades off the table. I loved the idea that the students in Ben's graduate class had to write letters dated the end of the year, addressing why they should get an A and focusing on their accomplishments and goals as though they had already happened. Further, I think your insights are right on target about our EMDT program. I have often felt the same way. The rubrics we have been given to work with are very clear and concise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia –

    Me personally……I think grades are a waste of time. Now, I understand that at grade levels, you need grading to help with assessment and instruction. However, at some point, I believe that grades should be terminated and assessment should strictly be pass / fail. I mean….why not? If a high school student can’t do simple math, then what’s the point of giving a grade? There’s still something they haven’t learned yet.

    I love your last paragraph. I suppose the way the EMDT program is designed within an LMO is what makes it, in my honest opinion, a great program. The expectations are clearly defined and the rewards and consequences are spelled out as well. But you caught me off guard when you said, “the biggest difference is going to be that we have not created these goals ourselves.” Would it be more effective if our students outlined their goals instead of us? Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great reflection on the reading and this problem of grading... does anyone think that grading is a great idea? I understand the purpose, but wouldn't actually communicating with students and parents where they are as far as learning the subject matter be better than some letter-based system. Ack.

    ReplyDelete